Monday, June 18, 2012

Quintessential Florence, Part 2


(Above) I'm not sure which is more Florentine, the color or the worn pietra forte stone tabernacle bearing a family's coat-of-arms. This piece comes from Via C. Battisti, near Santissima Annunziata.



Commemorative plaques dot the city's architecture marking the level to which the Arno rose during the devastating flood of 1966. (For art lovers, this is the flood that irreparably damaged Cimabue's great Crucifix). This plaque. which is about 3 feet off the ground comes from the facade of Santissima Annunziata, a good 15 minute walk from the Arno.


The delightfully odd coconut fountains near the train station, which remind me I'm back in Florence. (And, no, I have never had a piece, nor been tempted to do so.)

Equally odd, but arguably more tempting, the "magical" dancing Pokemon and Donald who hypnotically get jiggy with any vibration emanating from a nearby boom box. In 2007 Mickey was the dance master, this time he's apparently ceded the spotlight to his cartoon colleagues. The cost for your very own dancing Donald, 1 Euro. Do they work...? I'm thinking it might be fun to see. And if it does, I'm easily envisioning some days off of lecturing in the Disney class this fall because who would prefer to listen to me when they can watch Donald bounce around on two red string legs and square cardboard feet?

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying all the pictures. I love the street shots. Having fun with you. xo

    ReplyDelete